- Completes his/her application (including receipt of the sponsor' s recommendation) by March 26th;
- Is then favorably reviewed and duly elected by the Membership Services Committee; and
- Attend the 55th SSAT Annual Meeting at DDW 2014 in Chicago, Illinois this May 2-6, 2014, will receive a 95 USD rebate off of his/her 2015 SSAT membership dues. That's an amount equal to the Early Bird registration fee for the Annual Meeting at DDW!
Apply Now for SSAT Membership
The membership application process is now entirely online, and only online applications will be considered.
- A Subscription to the Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery (a value of over 400 USD, the Journal is included with Active, and Candidate memberships)
- Deeply discounted Early Bird Registration to Digestive Disease Week, at which the SSAT Annual Meeting is held. Early Bird fees are 95 USD (and complimentary for Candidate members), compared to 420 USD for nonmembers
- Discounted Registration to the SSAT Maintenance of Certification Course (held in conjunction with DDW)
- Access to the SSAT's Annual Career Development Awards and Traveling Fellowships
Individuals may apply for membership in the SSAT, based on the following guidelines. Completed application must include an uploaded, current CV, including bibliography, and an electronic recommendation from an Active or Senior member of the SSAT. All membership candidates must have an interest in the surgical aspects of digestive diseases. Membership shall not be denied because of race, creed, color, or sex.
155 USD annually (+75 USD one-time initiation fee)
- Have a degree from a medical school acceptable to the Board of Trustees;
- Have a license to practice medicine in his/her state, province or country;
- Be certified by a board that is a member board of the American Board of Medical Specialties, the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada or by an equivalent body; and
- Have an interest in the surgical aspects of digestive diseases
- be a career scientist with an M.D, Ph.D. or equivalent degree from an institution acceptable to the Board of Trustees; and
- have an interest in the surgical aspects of digestive diseases.
20 USD annually
Applicant must not be certified by a board that is a member board of the American Board of Medical Specialties, the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada or by an equivalent body, and:
- Be a Resident in a surgical training program that is approved by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education, Royal College of Canada, or equivalent body
- Be a post-residency trainee in a GI Fellowship. A post-residency trainee in a GI Fellowship must provide a letter of support from the Program Director.
SSAT Membership Approval Cycle
The SSAT Membership Committee reviews applications roughly every 3-4 weeks from January to mid-April, leading up to the Annual Meeting held in conjunction with DDW. The Committee then reviews applications approximately once every 4-6 weeks from September through December.
About two weeks after an application has been approved by the Membership Committee, the successful candidate will receive notification from the SSAT regarding his/her election.
- In order for a membership candidate to be able to register for DDW as an SSAT member at the Early Bird rate, his/her application must be complete (including receipt of the sponsor's recommendation) by February 24th, followed by a favorable review and approval by the Membership Committee.
- In order for a membership candidate to be able to register for DDW as an SSAT member at the standard reduced rate for DDW society members, his/her application must be complete (including receipt of the sponsor's recommendation) by March 26th, followed by a favorable review and approval by the Membership Committee.
Candidate status is limited to those who are not board certified and are either residents currently in a surgical training program or post-residency trainees in GI Fellowships.