Apply Now for SSAT Membership
The membership application process is now entirely online, and only online applications will be considered.
- A Subscription to the Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery (a value of over 400 USD, the Journal is included with Active, Candidate, and Resident memberships)
- Deeply discounted Early Bird Registration to Digestive Disease Week, at which the SSAT Annual Meeting is held. Early Bird fees are 95 USD (and complimentary for Candidate and Resident members), compared to 420 USD for nonmembers
- Discounted Registration to the SSAT Maintenance of Certification Course (held in conjunction with DDW)
- Access to the SSAT’s Annual Career Development Awards and Traveling Fellowships
Individuals may apply for membership in the SSAT, based on the following guidelines. Completed application must include an uploaded, current CV, including bibliography, and an electronic recommendation from an Active or Senior member of the SSAT. All membership candidates must have an interest in the surgical aspects of digestive diseases. Membership shall not be denied because of race, creed, color, or sex.
155 USD annually (+75 USD one-time initiation fee)
80 USD annually
20 USD annually
SSAT Membership Approval Cycle
The SSAT Membership Committee reviews applications roughly every 3-4 weeks from January to mid-April, leading up to the Annual Meeting held in conjunction with DDW. The Committee then reviews applications approximately once every 4-6 weeks from September through December.
About two weeks after an application has been approved by the Membership Committee, the successful candidate will receive notification from the SSAT regarding his/her election.
- In order for a membership candidate to be able to register for DDW as an SSAT member at the Early Bird rate, his/her application must be complete (including receipt of the sponsor's recommendation) by March 10th, followed by a favorable review and approval by the Membership Committee.
- In order for a membership candidate to be able to register for DDW as an SSAT member at the standard reduced rate for DDW society members, his/her application must be complete (including receipt of the sponsor's recommendation) by April 10th, followed by a favorable review and approval by the Membership Committee.
Resident status is limited to residents who are currently in a surgical training program within the United States or Canada. After completion of residency, a member upgrades to the Candidate level, where s/he may remain either: 1) for up to four years after completion of residency, or 2) until being certified by a board that is a member board of the American Board of Medical Specialties, the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, or by an equivalent body—whichever comes first. Thus, if a member is board-certified within four years after residency, and that member is not currently in a post-residency GI Fellowship, then that member upgrades to the Active level. Dues-Exempt Senior status is granted to Active members upon completion of surgical practice, retirement, and/or disability.