|Deadline: February 6, 2015||Past Recipients||Online Application|
The goal of this Traveling Fellowship is to promote interaction and learning among SSAT Members working in academic practice environments with gastrointestinal surgeons in academic practice in other countries.
One fellowship will be awarded to an SSAT Member to visit a limited number of academic Gastrointestinal Surgical Units in other countries for a continuous period of two to three weeks. The Traveling Fellow is expected to observe procedures in the operating room, as well as to accompany the host faculty member(s) on patient rounds and clinic / office sessions and to attend and participate in relevant research, service, and teaching conferences of the host institutions. Accompaniment by Spouse / Family is encouraged.
- Must be an SSAT Member
- Must be in academic practice (preference will be given to those within 10 years of their initial academic appointment, but all interested members are encouraged to apply)
- Submission of an itinerary which outlines visits to two to four academic gastrointestinal surgical units located outside the applicants own country
- Coordination of the time of travel with a major international meeting in the geographic vicinity of the institutions to be visited is encouraged. For example, the International Society of Digestive Surgery World Congress, International Society of Surgery, the International Hepato-Pancreatic-Biliary Association, or the SSAT
- Must comply with the application process and submit all required materials as described in the Fellowship Application Process section
- If selected, the Fellowship must be accepted or declined by February 27th
- At the conclusion of the fellow's travel, the fellow will submit a brief report to the Education Committee including a description of the experience and offering observations and highlights as well as opportunities for improvement
- Must be certified by the American Board of Surgery or a similar accrediting college/board in the surgeon's own country
Conditions of Fellowship
The selected fellow will contact potential sponsorship institutions and make arrangements to complete the fellowship between July1 and June 30 of the academic year following the announcement of the Fellowship. If the selected fellow requires assistance in contacting host institutions the Education Committee will provide such assistance.
A stipend of up to $5000 will be provided to the Traveling Fellow to defray reasonable costs for travel, lodging, and meals. Additional support for family members will not be provided.
Expenses will be reimbursed by the Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract Treasurer upon receipt of the Traveling Fellows report and summary of expenses.
Fellowship Application Process and Checklist
To be eligible for consideration, the following materials must be submitted to the Society's Administrative Offices via the online application no later than February 6th of the year in which the application is made:
- Online application to include the following uploads:
- Response to Survey Questions
(Maximum of two single spaced pages in 11 point or larger)
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- Letter of support from Medical School Chair of Surgery
- Response to Survey Questions
|February 6||Applications to be received in the Society's Administrative Offices|
|Mid February||Applications reviewed by the Education Committee|
|Early March||Notification to Applicants|
|Mid-May||Announcement of Traveling Fellow|
|July 1 to June 30||Term of Award (One Year)|
Please note the timeline of reviewing and notifying applicants is estimated and dates may vary slightly.
If you have any additional questions please contact the SSAT office at 978-927-8330 or Email SSAT
Please note that this is now an on online process, and only online applications will be considered.